Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SOMETIMES BEING A TEACHER FEELS GOOD

I had a rough semester this past spring-I wasn't sure if I was getting through to any of my students (presently and in the past three semesters of my fledgeling teaching career). Then one of my students from last fall, Jeremy Weddle sent me an e-mail last week, giddy with pride--he'd been chosen as a semi-finalist in the Adobe Design Achievement Awards with the submission of the following photo:




Jeremy spent most of the time in my class surfing the net and playing around in Second Life, but in a huff of my wearied patience I told him to work on the following photo he had taken from a downtown, Indianapolis graffiti spot. I don't take any credit for this happening, I just couldn't get him to focus on my lectures in class unless I encouraged him to use the techniques in class on his own images/digital photos imported from his camera.

I'm happy for him, and after receiving his thank you e-mail it made feel real warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe this teaching thing isn't so bad.

No comments: